This update has been a very long time coming, but it's finally ready.
The main focus of this release was to upgrade the base code to Marshmallow's Launcher3 code. By doing so, Action Launcher gained notable usability enhancements including the addition of fast scroll in the All Apps drawer, a much improved widget picker, infinite paged folders and more, as well getting the code in a place where updating to future versions of Launcher3 should occur much faster.
This update also contains another 10 highly requested settings/features/tweaks, in addition to a host of bug fixes, optimizations and improvements in memory usage.
Finally, I've also added an Alpha of Google Now integration (demo video here), which works really well. Unfortunately using it does require Action 3 to be a system app, but that's entirely down to the way Google implemented the API. This is my first feature that requires users to tinker with their device to use, so I'll be interested to see how the reception is to that. Hopefully Google has a change of heart and opens the API up for all apps sooner rather than later so everyone can use it, but for now, unfortunately, only a subset of the audience will be able to use it. I've published a FAQ post detailing all the ins and outs of the Now integration here. Please be aware that aside from entries in the in-app FAQ, all Now integration options are hidden unless your device is rooted, or Action Launcher 3 is a system app. Finally, keep in mind this feature may be removed at any point, especially if Google take issue with its inclusion for any reason and request me to do so.
This is easily the largest update I've ever done (something I'm not exactly proud of given how long its been between updates), but hopefully ya'll will like it.
The full change log for Action Launcher 3s July 2016 update is as follows:
• NEW: Update base code to Android 6.0.1's Launcher3 code. Notable usability enhancements include the addition of fast scroll in the All Apps drawer, a much improved widget picker and infinite paged folders and more. This base code upgrade also sees a year's worth of Google's bug and stability and performance fixes.
• NEW: Can select pure black color via Quicktheme.
• NEW: Option to disable the Quickdrawer (Settings -> App drawers -> Quickdrawer).
• NEW: Option for enabling dark icons on the status bar (Settings -> Display -> Dark status bar icons). Note: requires Android 6.0 or later.
• NEW: Option to enable overlapping widgets (Settings -> Desktop -> Overlapping widgets).
• NEW: When dragging existing Home screen items, display Edit and Uninstall shortcuts.
• NEW: Add shortcut to jump straight to the system's device storage browser (requires Android 6.0 or later).
• NEW: Add shortcut to trigger a music search (via Google App).
• NEW: Add shortcut to jump to weather forecast (via Google App).
• NEW: Add shortcut to jump to the settings via the System Settings -> Apps -> Action 3 app page (requires Android 7.0).
• NEW: Added old material design versions of Google Play apps to in-built icon pack.
• NEW: Option to enable Google Now integration (Alpha). Note: REQUIRES ACTION 3 TO BE A SYSTEM APP. Please see FAQ for full details. Option will appear in Settings -> Desktop -> Google Now integration (Alpha) for rooted devices only.
• IMPROVEMENT: Reduced app's memory usage. Especially apparent when using an Icon Pack and/or Smartsize icons.
• IMPROVEMENT: Samsung Knox support.
• IMPROVEMENT: Engaging Quickedit with many icon packs installed is both much faster and more reliable.
• IMPROVEMENT: Support icon packs that use vector drawables.
• IMPROVEMENT: Use high-res Google icon on the Quickbar.
• BUG FIX: Importing from TouchWiz's launcher works when running Marshmallow.
• BUG FIX: Fix alignment of text/icon on Hidden apps dialog.
• BUG FIX: Newly installed apps will apply the current icon pack's icon.
• BUG FIX: Don't display Shutters on Quickedit when Shutters are disabled.
• BUG FIX: Countless other stability fixes.
As always, a nice review on the Play Store is always appreciated 😀